BISHOP DANIEL DELANY (1747 – 1814)
“Tell them to love God and be good to one another.”
The religious congregation ‘The Brothers of St. Patrick’ was founded by Bishop Daniel Delany in Tullow, Ireland, on 2nd February, 1808. The first four Patrician Brothers were John Baptist McMahon, John Evangelist Cummins, Bernard Fitzpatrick and Joseph Dawson.
Daniel Delany was born into a well-to-do family at Paddock in central Ireland in 1747. After his father’s death, young Daniel spent most of his childhood with his two aunts in Mountrath. At a very young age, he decided to enter the priesthood. He received his priestly education in France and was ordained priest in 1770. Father Delany was appointed assistant parish priest in the parish of Tullow, a village 80 kilometers south of Dublin. In 1783, Father Delany was consecrated co-adjutor bishop. Three years later he became the bishop of the diocese of Kildare and Leighlin. Bishop Delany founded two religious congregations. He founded ‘The Sisters of Saint Brigid’ (Brigidines) on 1st February, 1807. A year later, on the 2nd of February, he founded ‘The Brothers of St. Patrick’ (Patricians). Bishop Delany along with the Brigidine Sisters and Patrician Brothers worked relentlessly for the education of the young of his diocese. Bishop Delany died at Tullow in 1814.